Thursday 4 August 2011

Day 9 in Romania: paperwork in Bucharest

Day 8 in Romania

Today I went to the Social Security Registry with my lawyer's wife. Things didn't go well from the start. On the door there was a sign that said they only attend to the public one day a week, and for 2 hours. You just look at these signs and think, this must be a joke. How can government offices only have 2 office hours a week? Yet they do.

So they told us to go back to Sector 1, where we were the other day, and try to register my marriage there. But Sector 1 had sent us here. We were clearly being given the run around. I'm not sure if that's because no one wanted to do any work or they had no idea what to do with me.

Anyways, we found out that my husband has to sign papers to give me permission to register my marriage and change my name. A bit chauvanistic if you ask me.

The good news is that it takes 4 months to do all that. The bad news is that first they have to accept your documents and so far no one has done that.

Sector 1 told us that we had to come on Tuesday at 4pm to put our names on the waiting list and then go on Wednesday to actually talk to someone. Yet when we went on Tuesday at 4pm, they were closed and the security guard said the time to put your name on the waiting list had changed and was now 9am on Sunday. The only thing I can do is shake my head in disbelief and wonder how the heck they got into the EU.

I went to their house for dinner. She's a great cook. I'm jealous. I can't cook worth beans. She told me to buy Jamie Oliver and Harry Eastman's books. Maybe, but if I found the ingredients in Korea, they'd probably be way out of my price range.

I'm off to Timisoara tomorrow. My first of two big trips.

Be sure to read about what has happened so far. You can find everything in the quick summary of dates.

Disclaimer:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spammers need not waste their time: all comments are moderated.

FTC Disclosure and Privacy Policy

Please read Romanian Citizenship's FTC Disclosure and Privacy Policy.

html