Friday 10 June 2005

FAQ: Did your mom lose Romanian citizenship when she became an American?

Question
Naturegirl, are you telling us that while you were growing up, you DID NOT KNOW where your mother was born? Did she hide that fact from you? I guess I had the same questions: When I read in NG's initial post that she had "just found out that [her] mother is Romanian", I wondered where she'd thought her mother had been born. The U.S.? Somewhere else?

Answer
No, my mother immigrated when she was a little over a year old. But was born to an American mother and Romanian father. Under Romanian law, my granmother gave up her American citizenship by marrying a Romanian. My mom became American at age 9. My mom, her sister, mother, and father never went back to Romania. I've never been to Romania either. We all thought that by becoming American, she had given up Romanian citizenship.

Be sure to read about what has happened so far. You can find everything in the quick summary of dates.

Disclaimer:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spammers need not waste their time: all comments are moderated.

FTC Disclosure and Privacy Policy

Please read Romanian Citizenship's FTC Disclosure and Privacy Policy.

html