Tuesday 1 October 2013

Why I'm Still Trying to Get Romanian Citizenship

Last year I wrote a couple of reasons that explained why I still want to get Romanian citizenship. Here are the four reasons I wrote about in January 2012.
  1. First, I honestly feel that it's owed to our family. I think it would be a form of retribution and vindication for what was done.
  2. Second, we've been at it so long, it would be horrible to give up now.
  3. Third, I believe there's real potential for myself and my husband in Romania.
  4. Fourth, it would give our daughter the chance to live, work, or study in Europe if she wanted to.
I have to admit that these reasons have changed a bit. I'm at the point that it would be easiest to give up. In January 2006 I decided to give up and in April 2012 I also felt like it would be impossible to ever get Romanian citizenship. It seems like for every one step I take forward I'm pushed back ten steps. I do, however, believe that the people at the Romanian Embassy in Seoul want to see me succeed. That's half the battle, getting people on your side.

I still believe in reasons 1 and 2. My mother's citizenship was re-instated back in the 1990s. Both her parents have passed away now and would not be able to see me get citizenship, something I believe our family is owed. However, it's never too late to say sorry and this act would make up for a lot of things.

On to the 3rd reason. I do still believe that there is potential in Romania. I could teach English, educate expats about giving birth in Romania, possibly even buy property and rent it out. The language shouldn't be too much of a struggle since I can already read a great deal and it's similar to Spanish.To be honest though, this is the weakest reason I have for continuing.

Reason 4 is what is really urging me on. I think that if my mom had known what I know now, she might have gotten a Romanian passport, thus making it much easier for me. But, alas, internet wasn't available when she was growing up and misinformation abound. For example, she believed that she could only be an American citizen and couldn't hold dual nationality. I know that if I give up now, it'll be all but impossible for my daughter to become Romanian through my mother. (Though I suppose there's nothing stopping her from moving to Romania and getting it through marriage or residency.)


Be sure to read about what has happened so far. You can find everything in the quick summary of dates.

Disclaimer:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spammers need not waste their time: all comments are moderated.

FTC Disclosure and Privacy Policy

Please read Romanian Citizenship's FTC Disclosure and Privacy Policy.

html