Thursday 17 February 2011

Mom's a citizen

Updated 17 October 2015

I found out that this document just says my mom was a citizen when she left Romania.

Good news: My lawyer sent me confirmation that my mom is a citizen from the Ministry of Internal Affairs! She never had her citizenship revoked and never renounced it. Yea! So hopefully I'll be getting my passport this year! (My grandfather did renounce his citizenship. No info about my grandmother's Romanian citizenship. But none of that mattes. My mom IS a citizen, therefore I can get citizenship.)

So excited!

Things are taking longer than we think, though. We applied for confirmation of citizenship in July 2010 and were told that we'd find out 4 months later, in September 2010. However, we just found out now. So it actually took 9 months.

FYI: Romanian citizenship during the Communist regime.
I have been told that any Romanian who left during the Communist regime were considered traitors by having committed "high treason" and thus revoked of Romanian citizenship. However, since the fall of communism, laws have changed. Th
e 1991 law basically cancels the revocation of citizenship due to its extreme political nature, therefore, my mom still has citizenship (which has been proved by the Romanian Ministry of Internal Affairs). My grandfather's is a different matter. He willingly renounced his citizenship. If we had wanted his to be restored, that would be another legal matter.

Be sure to read about what has happened so far. You can find everything in the quick summary of dates.

Disclaimer:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spammers need not waste their time: all comments are moderated.

FTC Disclosure and Privacy Policy

Please read Romanian Citizenship's FTC Disclosure and Privacy Policy.

html