Sunday 20 February 2011

Applying for my passport

Finally, after years of paperwork and wild goose chases, we found out that my mom is still a citizen. Due to this, I can apply for a passport. Here's all the items my lawyer will be submitting. Not all of these are original forms, but certified copies are all my lawyer needs.

● My Romanian birth cert and American birth cert
● My Peruvian marriage cert (for name purposes)
● Mom's birth certs (old and new one)
● Mom's American marriage cert
● My passport
● Power of Attorney
● Declaration of no criminal record
● Cert of Mom's Citizenship issued by the Immigration Office of the Ministry of Internal Affairs

The passport application normally takes 30 working days, but we're going to allow 60 for possible delays, because things always take longer! They may not physically give my lawyer my passport, because the power of attorney authorizes them to apply for citizenship (which would include the passport, but not to receive it, and they might want to see my American passport (so I'd have to send it to my lawyer).

The way around this is that my lawyer will request them to send it an embassy. I might have to sign a sworn declaration, but that would hopefully be the last thing I'd have to sign. Then a couple weeks later I could pick up my passport. Worse case senario, is that I'd have to go to Romania and get it. But, I'm planning on going to Europe anyways for the summer.

Be sure to read about what has happened so far. You can find everything in the quick summary of dates.

Disclaimer:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spammers need not waste their time: all comments are moderated.

FTC Disclosure and Privacy Policy

Please read Romanian Citizenship's FTC Disclosure and Privacy Policy.

html