Tuesday, 27 March 2007

FAQ: What's the problem with your mom's names?

You said that you have to register your mom's marriage with RO and change her name on your birth cert because she left out one of her middle names. I have to do the same thing for my daughter because her middle name appears on one document and not another. The Romanian consulate said they are very strict about the names being exact.

Yes, they're very strict. Her name is just a little different. Basically an Americanised version of her Romanian name. They're been really strict with my mom. She changed her name, the arrangement of it and then got married. So we have to go throught the whole process.

Basically, they're denying that she's still a citizen, even though she is. She never gave it up and besides, the Romanian constitution says my mother can't give up Romanian citizenship, becuase it was required by birth. We're thinking about getting a lawyer.

Giving Up Romanian Citizenship

So according to Romanian law,
This is from EICEE. The Romanian embassy in Israel also has lots of information.

(1) Romanian citizenship can be acquired, retained or lost as provided for by the organic law.
(2) Romanian citizenship cannot be withdrawn if acquired by birth.

Be sure to read about what has happened so far. You can find everything in the quick summary of dates.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spammers need not waste their time: all comments are moderated.

FTC Disclosure and Privacy Policy

Please read Romanian Citizenship's FTC Disclosure and Privacy Policy.